Hollow Forms in Silver – Live, Online Three Day Workshop
Presented by Rachel Morris, Eclectic Nature Jewelry & Design
Please read all details below before registering!
Dates: July 23-25, 2021
NEW DATES: Oct 22-24, 2021
Starting at: 9 am Pacific/10 am Mountain/11 am Central/12 pm Eastern
Ending at: 4:30 pm Pacific/5:30 pm Mountain/6:30 pm Central/7 pm Eastern
Hollow form jewelry allows artists to craft more architectural, larger work without the weight that can impede a large solid design. From lentils and other bead forms, to clasps, hollow rings, and pendants, these structural objects add a dimensionality to your work unlike any other.
In this three day online class, we’ll work through an array of simple and complex forms from beads to rings and pendants, adding decorative and functional elements such as inset stones, surface treatments, and multi-form connectors. The class will emphasize structural construction, functional and creative design, and technical fabrication skill building, and is a great stepping stone to subsequent study of metal box construction.
General rhythm of the class – the 4 T’s: Talk, Teach, Try It, Touch Base
- Talk – Discussion of design and technique
- Teach – Demo (Live) with Q&A time of the next steps
- Try It – Go off to your bench space and work on your project – I’ll be available to answer questions
- Touch Base – Group returns to share what we’ve all worked on and discuss challenges and next steps before moving on to the next talk/teach cycle
We’ll go through several cycles of this per day and will aim to end on a “Try It” block, so you can either keep working or get up and work before class, depending on your schedule, for the next day’s “Touch Base” kickoff.
Intermediate & Advanced (Advanced Beginners can contact Rachel (email@example.com) to discuss suitability before registering)
Students should have a solid foundation of sawing, filing, finishing, and soldering (able to create traditional large cabochon bezels consistently). Projects will be presented with a variety of modifications for easier or more challenging work, so students can level set based on their own skills and interests. No prior hollow form construction experience required, but if you already have experience and want to prepare in advance for more complex projects, reach out when registering.
- An optional follow-up Zoom open studio two weeks post-workshop, to catch up, show off, and get any open questions answered
- Access to a private Facebook group with additional resources
- Access to the recordings for 60 days after class concludes
By registering you confirm you have read, understand, and accept the following:
This class has a minimum of 3 students to run and an 8 student cap.
- $425 per person, via Zoom, in your own studio space